California Spanish Assessment
The California Spanish Assessment (CSA) is a new assessment currently being developed for the California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress (CAASPP) System. This assessment, presented in Spanish, will be available to serve the more than 1.2 million students who speak Spanish as their primary language, as well as those who are learning Spanish as an additional language. The purposes of the CSA are to:
- measure a student's competency in Spanish language arts and provide student-level data in Spanish competency
- evaluate the implementation of Spanish language arts programs at the local level
- provide a high school measure suitable to be used, in part, for the State Seal of Biliteracy
Key Features of the CSA
- Aligned with the Common Core State Standards for English Language Arts en Español
- Computer-based assessment
- Assesses reading, writing, and listening
- Administered in grades three through eight and high school
- Accessible to students with disabilities
- Includes technology-enabled items
- Includes machine-scored writing mechanics
Who Takes the CSA?
The largest test-taking population of the CSA consists of:
- students receiving instruction in Spanish in California; and/or
- students seeking a measure that recognizes their Spanish-specific reading, writing, and listening skills.
- Fall 2017—Pilot Test
- Fall 2018—Field Test
Educational Testing Service is recruiting bilingual, biliterate California educators with experience in teaching Spanish at varying grade levels to participate in the development of the CSA.
To apply, fill out the online CAASPP Content Reviewer Application. All qualified applicants will be contacted as specific opportunities become available.
- California Spanish Assessment Pilot Test Testing Interface Tutorial—Spanish (Video; 12:32) (Posted 09/06/17)
- California Spanish Assessment Pilot Test Testing Interface Tutorial—English (Video; 12:36) (Posted 09/06/17)
- California Spanish Assessment Pilot Test Administration (Video; 21:38) (Posted 09/11/17)
- California Spanish Assessment Pilot Test Administration (Posted 09/12/17)