Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) About the California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress—Technology
Click on or select a question to see its answer, or check the “Show all answers” box to see all answers.
- What are the technology requirements?
- Please refer to the Smarter Balanced Technology Strategy Framework and System Requirements specifications posted on the Smarter Balanced Technology Web page for information about supported technology and technology requirements.
- Can students use their mobile devices to complete the assessments?
Yes, students may test on any tablets that meet Smarter Balanced technology requirements. Please refer to the Smarter Balanced Technology Strategy Framework and System Requirements specifications located on the Smarter Balanced Technology Web page. See also the Technical Specifications Manual for Online Testing Web document. The following table lists currently supported tablets, operating systems, and browsers.
Operating System Supported Tablets Browsers for
Android 4.04 – 4.2 Google Nexus 10
Samsung Galaxy Note (10.1)
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (10.1)
Google Chrome Chrome OS 31 – 35 Chromebooks Google Chrome iOS 6.0 – 7.1 iPad 2, 3
4th generation (Retina Display)
- How do I access the secure browser for the online Smarter Balanced assessments?
- Instructions for downloading the secure browser can be found in the Secure Browser Installation Manual. Secure browsers can be downloaded directly from the Secure Browsers Web page (which is also linked on the CAASPP Portal).
- My school has already downloaded a secure browser for statewide testing. Do we need to download another secure browser?
- Yes, school personnel must annually download the secure browser for online testing.
- Are there special directions/requirements for the secure browser on Chromebooks, Android tablets, or iPads?
- Refer to the Secure Browser Installation Manual for information on downloading and using the secure browser on Chromebooks, Android tablets, and iPads.