California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress (CAASPP) Security and Test Administration Incident Reporting System (STAIRS) Process for Summative Assessments
The online California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress (CAASPP) STAIRS form is the starting point for local educational agency (LEA) CAASPP and CAASPP test site coordinators to report a test security incident or other testing issue that interferes with the administration and completion of the assessment. It is also a mandatory first step before an appeal can be filed.
LEA CAASPP coordinators and CAASPP test site coordinators must ensure that all test security incidents are documented by means of this form. After the form is submitted, an e-mail containing a case number and next steps will be sent to the submitter (and to the LEA CAASPP coordinator, if the form is submitted by the CAASPP test site coordinator) via e-mail. Ensure that communications generated by the e-mail address DONOTREPLY@cde.ca.gov are not automatically sent to a junk mail or spam folder.
|CAASPP coordinators should only file an appeal request in the online appeals system if they have been instructed to do so after reporting the incident in STAIRS. The case number included in the confirmation e-mail for the incident report is necessary to file an appeal.|
Information about Test Security Incidents
- CAASPP Security Incidents and Appeals Procedure Guide—Entire manual (Posted 02/16/18.)
LEA CAASPP coordinators and CAASPP test site coordinators should take the following steps when notification is received of a testing incident:
|Note: Please contact the California Technical Assistance Center (CalTAC) directly for administration window extension requests.|
- Review the information provided and verify that the occurrence is an incident by consulting the STAIRS Applicable Testing Issues Chart. (Updated 1/03/18)
- Review the information provided and verify that the occurrence is a testing incident that requires that a report be filed.
- Access the Test Operations Management System (TOMS) to enter data into the CAASPP STAIRS form:
- Select the [STAIRS/Appeals] button in the left navigation bar.
- On the STAIRS/Appeals Web page, select the [STAIRS] button.
- Follow the prompts in the online form.
- Follow the directions provided in the e-mail you receive in response to filing the CAASPP STAIRS form. This e-mail will come from the address DONOTREPLY@cde.ca.gov.
- If required by the response e-mail, revisit TOMS to file an appeal. Do not submit an appeal request unless you have been instructed to do so.
To expedite the processing of your incident or appeal, please provide the CDE or test security personnel with any additional information that is requested. Keep any documentation associated with the incident for one year.