Unlisted resources must be approved by the California Department of Education (CDE) prior to the student’s testing date.
In the case where a student’s individualized education program (IEP) requires the use of a resource not currently available in the California Assessment Accessibility Resources Matrix , the use of the resource must be requested using the Unlisted Resources data-entry screen in the Test Operations Management System (TOMS) . The California Longitudinal Pupil Achievement Data System (CALPADS) settings for the student must indicate the student’s IEP or Section 504 plan status to enable selection of accommodations or unlisted resources in the student test settings interface in TOMS . The education program (field 3.13) must be set for “special education” (value 144) or “504 Plan” (value 101).
- Unlisted Resources for CAASPP and ELPAC (Posted 10/19/20)—This guide provides information about who can use unlisted resources, how to request an unlisted resource, and the impact on student scores.
- TOMS: How to Request an Unlisted Resource (Video; 10:10) (Posted 03/18/20) —This video tutorial provides information on requirements, as well as the methods used to request an unlisted resource in the Test Operations Management System (TOMS) system. Watch this tutorial to find out how to request an unlisted resource in TOMS for the CAASPP and ELPAC assessments.
When a request for an unlisted resource is received, the requester will receive one of the following responses by email:
- Approved—Test Construct Change
The use of this unlisted resource has been determined to change the testing construct; therefore, test results will not be considered valid for accountability purposes and the student will not be included in the participation rate indicator. The student will receive a score with a footnote that the test was administered under conditions that resulted in a score that may not be an accurate representation of the student's achievement.
- Approved—Temporary—Valid for 20XX-XX Administration
The request for an unlisted resource has been approved for the 20XX‒XX test administration. Whether the use of this resource changes the testing construct is not known and is either being investigated or will be investigated. Although the scores for 20XX‒XX will be considered valid, scores using this resource may not be considered valid in subsequent years if the resource is found to change the construct being assessed.
- Denied—Security Violation
The request for the unlisted resource is denied because the use of this resource poses a threat to the security of the test. Please carefully review the CDE Matrix One web page to see if another available resource can provide the needed access.
- Additional Information Required
The unlisted resource request did not contain sufficient information. The request may be updated request with additional information and resubmitted for approval.
- Unlisted Resource Supported Under TOMS Test Settings
The unlisted resource requested is an available universal tool, designated support, or accommodation. Universal tools are available for all students. For designated supports and accommodations, please open the student's profile in TOMS, select the [Test Settings] tab, and select the appropriate option from the list of designated supports and accommodations.
Last Reviewed: Monday, June 8, 2020