CAASPP Communication: February 2023
CAASPP email update, February 1, 2023.
This communication includes information and updates about the CAASPP .
To register or locate additional details about upcoming trainings, including dates, times, or content, visit the CAASPP Training Opportunities web page.
February 9: Pretest Virtual Training Series, 2–4 p.m.
The two-hour Administering and Monitoring Testing session will provide LEA CAASPP and ELPAC coordinators with information on how to use the Test Administrator Interface to monitor students during testing and use TOMS and the Completion Status Reporting System to monitor student test assignment, completion, and reporting.
February 14: Coffee Session, 2–3 p.m.
Register now for the February 2023 Coffee Session . Use the Coffee Session Content Request Form to submit questions, request demonstrations, or share a best practice.
February 15 and 21: Data-Driven Decision-Making Training Series for Educational Leaders (Module 3)
This training series consists of four 90-minute modules. Module 3 will cover the connection between data in CERS and systems of support including Tools for Teachers, the Smarter Balanced Content Explorer, Lexile and Quantile scores, the Smarter Annotated Response Tool, and information on accessibility resources. Team attendance is encouraged, and teams could include LEA and site coordinators, curriculum leads, and teacher leaders or coaches.
February 21: Tools for Teachers Shared Practices Webinar, 3:30–4:30 p.m.
Hear from fellow educators at the shared practices webinar Supporting Student Success with Interim Assessments and Tools for Teachers. Educators from San Bernardino City Unified School District and Atwater Elementary School District will highlight ways they use Smarter Balanced Interim Assessments and resources on the Tools for Teachers website to promote teaching and learning in elementary through high school classrooms. Register now on the Tools for Teachers Webinar Registration web page !
February 23: New Coordinator Training Webinar #4, 3–4 p.m.
The New Coordinator Training Webinar #4 will provide a review of upcoming coordinator checklist tasks, dive into resources for student practice, and include a question-and-answer session with experienced coordinators.
CAASPP Test Administrator Tutorial
Available both on Test Administrator Tutorial web page and in the Moodle Training Site (Moodle). The TA Tutorial is designed to prepare test administrators to administer the Smarter Balanced for English Language Arts/Literacy (ELA) and mathematics, CAST, and CSA. This year, a new test administration video, How to Administer a Test from Start to Finish , will be included.
Asynchronous Hand Scoring Learning Modules
This new asynchronous training opportunity focuses on how to hand score the Smarter Balanced Interim Assessment performance tasks for ELA and mathematics. You can access content for these new offerings on the following web pages:
- Asynchronous Learning Module: Hand Scoring ELA Performance Tasks
- Asynchronous Learning Module: Hand Scoring Mathematics Performance Tasks
Manuals, Instructions, and Quick Reference Guides
- CAASPP Online Test Administration Manual
- Smarter Balanced Summative and CAST Online Administration Instructions
- CSA Online Administration Instructions
- How to Second Score for the CAA for ELA
- Second Scoring Process (for the CAA for ELA and the Summative ELPAC)
- Using the Online Practice and Training Tests
CAA Test Examiner Tutorial
Test examiners must complete the CAA Test Examiner Tutorial in the Moodle and receive a certificate of completion before administering the CAAs. Coordinators can monitor test examiner progress within Moodle. Coordinators received the CAASPP: Resources to Prepare for the 2022–23 California Alternate Assessments email on July 25, 2022, which provided information about accessing and completing the course.
LEAs should have begun preparing for and administering the CAAs for ELA, mathematics, and Science. The four embedded performance tasks for the CAA for Science are to be administered throughout the year. Each embedded performance task is administered shortly after the student has received instruction on the related science content.
Form assignments and second scoring assignments for the 2022–23 test administration of the CAA for Science and CAAs for ELA and mathematics are available on the following web pages:
- 2022–23 CAA for Science Form Assignments by Name or CDS Code
- CAAs for English Language Arts/Literacy (ELA) and Mathematics Form Assignments by Name or CDS Code
Use this information to determine which form of the grade-level Directions for Administration to download for each student in TOMS . Some schools assigned to Form 2 will be required to second-score rubric-scored items for the CAA for ELA. To find schools assigned to second scoring, refer to the CAA for ELA Second Scoring Assignments web page.
Please visit the CAAs web page for more information on certification and test administration and the Moodle Training Site Information web page for more information.
Educator Opportunities Upcoming Meetings
These meetings are for educators who want to be involved in the development and review of test questions for California assessment programs. To apply for future meetings, go to the Educator Opportunities Portal . If you do not have an Educator Opportunities Portal account, you will need to create an account in the Educator Opportunities Database. If you have forgotten your password or have any questions about how to get involved in educator opportunities, please contact the Educator Opportunities Team by phone at 916-228-2682 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Previous CAASPP Monthly Communications
Previous CAASPP monthly communications, as well as other email communications, are located on the CAASPP Coordinator Emails web page.
- Direct questions about policies, regulations, and requirements to email@example.com.
- Contact your region's Success Agent for answers to questions about assessment coordination, development, and administration, as well as for technical support.
- Direct questions about Moodle , certification, and calibration to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Get Answers from a new user-friendly lookup tool available to help LEA coordinators quickly find answers to the most common testing questions. Users can also suggest Additional Questions for the FAQ , which will be reviewed on a regular basis.
- Chat with Anita, your virtual assistant for LEA help, which is available on the CAASPP and ELPAC home pages. Unanswered questions will be routed to your LEA Success Agent.
California Outreach Team
Contact Us: California Outreach web page