CAASPP Communication: April 2023
CAASPP email update, April 3, 2023.
This communication includes information and updates about the CAASPP .
Prepare for SSR Electronic Distribution
Collaborate with technology personnel to ensure connections between the local student information system (SIS) and the Test Operations Management System (TOMS) are active, which will result in Student Score Reports (SSRs) populating for the correct students in a timely manner, as outlined in the Options for Distributing SSRs section in the CAASPP Post-Test Guide . Ensure the reports are properly displayed, parents/guardians can access the report, and they can solely access scores for their own student. The SIS vendor credentials have a 365-day expiration rule. If needed, regenerate credentials for the SIS to securely connect to TOMS.
Please see the Score Reporting web page on the CAASPP website for the estimated SSR release dates.
To register or locate additional details about upcoming trainings, including dates, times, or content, visit the CAASPP Upcoming Training Opportunities web page.
April 11: Coffee Session, 2–3 p.m.
April 20: New Coordinator Training Webinar #5, 3–4 p.m.
The New Coordinator Training Webinar #5 will provide a review of upcoming coordinator checklist tasks, dive into resources for preparing to receive scores, and include a question and answer session with experienced coordinators.
April 24, April 27, and May 2: Data-Driven Decision-Making Training Series for Educational Leaders (Module 4)
This training series consists of four ninety-minute modules. Module 4 will cover why a local data-driven decision-making system is important, as well as protected team planning time to construct actionable steps for creating or improving a robust local data system. Team attendance is encouraged, and teams could include LEA and site coordinators, curriculum leads, and teacher leaders or coaches.
May 4, 11, and 18: Accessing Summative Assessment Results in CERS, 9–10:15 a.m.
The three modules in this series will focus on preparing to access summative scores in the California Educator Reporting System (CERS). Each module will focus on a specific group of assessments as follows:
- Module 1, on May 4, will focus on the California Spanish Assessment (CSA), Summative ELPAC, and Summative Alternate ELPAC.
- Module 2, on May 11, will focus on the Smarter Balanced Summative Assessments for English language arts/literacy (ELA) and mathematics and California Alternate Assessments (CAAs) for ELA and mathematics.
- Module 3, on May 18, will focus on the California Science Test (CAST) and CAA for Science.
Each module will include live demonstrations about how to access specific summative assessment results, view and interpret individual score reports, and understand data features. There will be time to explore the system features and a question-and-answer period.
Web Page Updates
- The Past Training Opportunities web page has been renamed as the Asynchronous Training Opportunities web page.
The following live trainings were recently posted and are now available asynchronously:
- Data-Driven Decision-Making Training Series for Educational Leaders Module 3
- Supporting Student Success with Interim Assessments and Tools for Teachers
CAA Test Examiner Tutorial
Test examiners must complete the tutorial on the Moodle Training Site (Moodle) and receive a certificate of completion before administering the CAAs.
Form assignments for the 2022–23 test administration of the CAAs for ELA and mathematics and CAA for Science are available on the following web pages:
Please visit the CAAs web page for more information on certification and test administration and the Moodle Training Site Information web page for more information about estimated completion time for the CAA Test Examiner Tutorial and for the accompanying document, CAA Test Examiner Tutorial: Moodle At-A-Glance.
CAASPP Test Administrator Tutorial
Available both on the Test Administrator Tutorial web page and in Moodle, the Test Administrator Tutorial is designed to prepare test administrators to administer the Smarter Balanced Summative Assessments for ELA and mathematics, the CAST, and the CSA. This year, a new test administration video, How to Administer a Test from Start to Finish , and PDF, Smarter Balanced Summative and CAST Scripts , are included.
Asynchronous Hand Scoring Learning Modules
This new set of asynchronous training modules focuses on how to hand score the Smarter Balanced Interim Assessment performance tasks for ELA and mathematics. Content for these new offerings is accessed on the following web pages:
- Asynchronous Learning Module: Hand Scoring ELA Performance Tasks
- Asynchronous Learning Module: Hand Scoring Mathematics Performance Tasks
These learning modules can be completed at any time, individually or as part of a professional learning community. There is no secure content on these web pages, but access to secure materials, including training guides and exemplars, is necessary to engage with the learning modules. Instructions are provided to guide teachers and other LEA staff in accessing secure materials for hand scoring through TOMS.
Educator Opportunities Upcoming Meetings
The CAASPP Opportunities to Get Involved web page provides information about meetings for educators who want to be involved in the development and review of test questions for the different California assessment programs. To apply for future meetings, go to the Educator Opportunities Portal . If you do not have an Educator Opportunities Portal account, you will need to create an account in the Educator Opportunities Database. If you have forgotten your password or have any questions about how to get involved in educator opportunities, please contact the Educator Opportunities Team by phone at 916-228-2682 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Previous CAASPP Monthly Communications
Previous CAASPP monthly communications, as well as other email communications, are located on the CAASPP Coordinator Emails web page.
- Direct questions about policies, regulations, and requirements to email@example.com.
- Contact your region's Success Agent for answers to questions about assessment coordination, development, and administration, as well as for technical support.
- Direct questions about Moodle , certification, and calibration to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Get Answers from a new user-friendly lookup tool available to help LEA coordinators quickly find answers to the most common testing questions. Users can also suggest Additional Questions for the FAQ , which will be reviewed on a regular basis.
- Chat with Anita, your virtual assistant for LEA help, which is available on the CAASPP and ELPAC home pages. Unanswered questions will be routed to your LEA Success Agent.
California Outreach Team
Contact Us: California Outreach web page