Smarter Balanced, CAST, and CAAs for ELA and Mathematics: Reports and Results Available on June 27
CAASPP email update, June 24, 2022.
Dear LEA CAASPP Coordinator:
Starting June 27, 2022, test results will be released for students who took the following assessments:
- Smarter Balanced Summative Assessments for English language arts/literacy (ELA) and mathematics
- California Science Test (CAST)
- California Alternate Assessments (CAAs) for ELA and mathematics
Results will be released in the following locations:
- California Educator Reporting System (CERS)—Available June 27
- Test Operations Management System (TOMS)—Available June 27
- LEA student information system (SIS) vendor parent or student portal—Available June 28
LEA CAASPP coordinators and CAASPP test site coordinators will be able to use TOMS to find student results as well as other metrics such as reporting percentages and score status.
- The MyTOMS at a Glance Student Score Report (SSR) Status widget shows the percentage and number of SSRs released for the LEA on the TOMS home page.
- The [Score Status] tab of a student's profile in TOMS allows the user to access score status information for an individual student by content area that includes the following details:
- Score availability date
- Condition code(s)
- Recent Security and Test Administration Incident Reporting System Appeals
- The [Reporting] tab of a student's profile in TOMS allows the user to access reporting information for an individual student that includes the following details:
- Reporting language of the student's SSR
- Date the SSR was made available
- A link to download the SSR PDF in English or another language (when available)
Users can access and download SSRs individually or as one large file. Resources include the following:
- How to Download Student Score Reports (SSRs) in TOMS video
- How to Bulk Download Student Score Reports quick reference guide
CAASPP SSRs can be provided to parents/guardians electronically, as PDFs, through a locally provided parent or student portal or through another chosen method of local distribution. LEAs should have a process in place for emails that bounce back to ensure that parents/guardians receive their child's SSR.
Contact the LEA's portal provider for instructions on accessing electronic SSRs. For more information about electronic SSRs, refer to the CAASPP Student Score Report (SSR) Options web page.
SSRs can also be printed locally. LEAs planning to send SSRs to parents/guardians should ensure the mailing address is correct and up to date.
Lexile® and Quantile® Measures Reports
In addition, each student who took the Smarter Balanced assessments will have an optional report available that provides the student's Lexile® and Quantile® measures based on the student's Smarter Balanced for ELA and mathematics scores. These measures reports can be made available in the LEA's parent or student portal if the SIS vendor uses the most current Application Programming Interface Specifications. If the LEA would like to suppress these reports, contact the LEA's Success Agent.
CERS houses student results as well as partial aggregated results at the group, school, and LEA levels. Prior to the release of all student results in the fall, the aggregated results available in CERS are partial and may present as higher or lower than the LEA's final aggregated results. The partial results are not appropriate for public release but may be used for local planning purposes.
Accessing Information in CERS
LEA users can access CERS using a TOMS user account. Once in CERS, the user can search for results by student, school, or assigned groups from the "Access Assessment Results" section of the CERS landing page, depending on the user's role. The following actions are available in CERS:
- To download a file containing student results, an LEA user can select the [Custom Aggregate Report] button and customize a yearly or longitudinal report for an LEA or school.
- Claim reports and target reports are not available for the Smarter Balanced Summative Assessments for the 2021–22 test administration year.
- To export a CSV file containing all LEA or school assessment results that can be used for analysis in another application, an LEA user can also select the [District/School Exports] button.
For more information, refer to the CERS User Guide . Refer to the Creating Groups in the California Educator Reporting System (CERS) video for a demonstration of how to create groups to allow specific users access to assigned student results.
Future Release of Results
CAASPP Student Score Data File
The CAASPP Student Score Data File, containing results for the Smarter Balanced Summative Assessments, the CAAs for ELA and mathematics, and the CAST, will be available in the "Reports" section of TOMS in late July 2022.
SSRs for the CAA for Science and CSA
This year, the analysis and scoring processes for the CAA for Science and the California Spanish Assessment (CSA) will take additional time. As a result, electronic SSRs for the CSA will be available in September 2022. CAA for Science results and SSRs will be available in November 2022, once the State Board of Education approves the threshold scores in September.
California Outreach Team
Contact Us: California Outreach web page