CAASPP Communication: July 2022
CAASPP email update, July 5, 2022.
This communication includes information and updates about the CAASPP .
Complete Interim Assessment Hand Scoring
In preparation for the 2022–23 school year, the Smarter Balanced Interim Assessments and related systems will experience downtime from Friday, July 29, 2022, at 5 p.m. to Tuesday, August 2, 2022, at 8 a.m. During this downtime, student responses will be cleared from the Interim Assessment Hand Scoring System (IAHSS) and will no longer be available for hand scoring.
To ensure that student results from all completed 2021–22 interim assessments appear in the California Educator Reporting System (CERS), all outstanding hand scoring must be completed in the IAHSS prior to the system downtime on July 29, 2022.
To register or find additional details about upcoming trainings, including dates, times, or content, visit the CAASPP Training Opportunities web page.
July 6–July 27: Interim and Formative Assessment Training Series
This training series will provide direct, online training focused on the interim and formative components of the Smarter Balanced comprehensive system of assessments. All California educators and administrators are welcome to register now on the 2022 Interim and Formative Assessment Training Series registration web page.
July 12–August 3: CERS Training
This training is designed for staff and teachers who have access to, or manage, LEA use of CERS. To register for this coordinator and administrator training, go to the Introduction to CERS for Test Coordinators and Administrators registration web page. To register for the teacher-focused training, go to the Introduction to CERS for Teachers registration web page.
July 14: New CAASPP Coordinator Welcome Webinar, 3–4 p.m.
LEA CAASPP coordinators who have been in their role for less than 12 months or want a refresher on the coordinator responsibilities can attend to review the coordinator checklist and where to find more information to help them in their new role, as well as existing resources that they can share with their administrators and teachers.
July 22: Coffee Session, 2–3 p.m.
This July 2022 Coffee Session will focus on preparing for the Initial ELPAC and Initial Alternate ELPAC. Use the 2022–23 CAASPP–ELPAC Coffee Session Content Request Form to submit questions, request demonstrations, or share a best practice.
August 4, 11, and 18: Assessment and Accountability, 2–4 p.m.
Registration is now open to all for the 2022 Assessment and Accountability Information Meeting (AAIM), hosted by the California Department of Education (CDE). The two-hour meeting sessions will provide coordinators with the latest information and updates on California's assessment and accountability systems. Send questions in advance by submitting them on an AAIM Q&A Form and register on the 2022 AAIM Webinar Registration web page.
August 9: CAA Test Examiner Tutorial
The California Alternate Assessment (CAA) Test Examiner Tutorial will be available in the Moodle Training Site (Moodle) . The tutorial will cover general, nonsecure information and highlight best practices for the administration of the CAAs. Coordinators will receive an email prior to August 9 with more information.
August 9: Coffee Session, 2–3 p.m.
Beginning August, Coffee Sessions will occur every second Tuesday of the month. Register now on the 2022–23 Coffee Sessions registration page . Use the 2022–23 CAASPP–ELPAC Coffee Session Content Request Form to submit questions, request demonstrations, or share a best practice.
Web Page Updates
- CAA for Science Form Assignments web page
- CAASPP Opportunities to Get Involved web page
- Purchase Video Student Score Reports (SSRs) from ETS web page
Prepare for SSR Distribution
Take one or more of the following actions to begin:
- Ensure SSRs are populated in the student information system (SIS) for the correct students in a timely manner, as outlined on the SSR Options web page.
- Ensure the reports are properly displayed so parents/guardians can access the report and solely access scores for their own student(s).
- The SIS vendor credentials have a 365-day expiration rule. If needed, regenerate credentials for the SIS to securely connect to TOMS.
LEAs must make CAASPP SSRs available to the students' parents/guardians within 20 working days of delivery to the LEA in TOMS. If the LEA receives the SSRs after the last day of instruction for the school year, the LEA shall make the SSRs available to the parents/guardians no later than the first 20 working days of the next school year pursuant to 5 CCR, Section 863.
Confirm the Accuracy of Role Designations in the California School Directory
The TOMS superintendent role is automatically assigned to LEA superintendents and charter school administrators listed in the California School Directory (CSD). Administrators of directly funded charter schools should ensure that the person named in the Administrator field in the CSD is the LEA CAASPP coordinator with the authority to designate such roles as the site administrator.
CAA for Science
LEAs are required to administer the 2021–22 CAA for Science to all eligible students by July 15, 2022, or the end of the LEA's instructional calendar, whichever comes first. A test examiner must administer all four embedded performance tasks, in any order, to a student one-on-one throughout the school year shortly after the student has received the related science instruction. All four embedded performance tasks must be administered for the student to be considered as having completed the assessment. Please visit the CAAs web page for more information and resources.
Previous CAASPP Monthly Communications
Previous CAASPP monthly communications, as well as other email communications, can be found on the CAASPP Coordinator Emails web page.
- Direct questions about policies, regulations, and requirements to email@example.com.
- Contact your region's Success Agent for answers to questions about assessment coordination, development, and administration, as well as for technical support.
- Direct questions about the Moodle Training Site , certification, and calibration to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Get Answers from a new user-friendly lookup tool available to help LEA coordinators quickly find answers to the most common testing questions. Users can also suggest Additional Questions for the FAQ , which will be reviewed on a regular basis.
- Chat with Anita, your virtual assistant, available on the CAASPP and ELPAC home pages for LEA help. Unanswered questions will be routed to your LEA Success Agent.
California Outreach Team
Contact Us: California Outreach web page