CAASPP: Preparing to Transition to the 2022–23 Administration
CAASPP email update, July 11, 2022.
Dear LEA CAASPP Coordinator:
This email serves as a reminder of the upcoming CAASPP system downtime from Friday, July 29, 2022, at 5 p.m. to Tuesday, August 2, 2022, at 8 a.m. to prepare for the transition to the CAASPP assessments for the 2022–23 school year. This downtime will affect several CAASPP systems. Refer to the CAASPP Planned System Downtime web page for further information.
Prior to Downtime on July 29, 2022, the LEA CAASPP coordinator for 2021–22 should take the following steps:
- Ensure that the superintendent has designated an LEA CAASPP coordinator for 2022–23 who can add users to the Test Operations Management System (TOMS) when it becomes available on August 2, 2022. This is especially important if the LEA plans to administer assessments such as the Smarter Balanced Interim Assessments and the California Alternate Assessment for Science early in the school year.
- Ensure that all interim assessment hand scoring for the 2021–22 test administration is completed. All student responses will be removed from the Interim Assessment Hand Scoring System during the downtime and will no longer be available for hand scoring when system operations resume.
- Download the 2019–20 student score data file for the LEA's records. This file will be removed during the downtime, as TOMS maintains only two years of historical data and one year of current data. The student score data file can be downloaded in TOMS by selecting the [Reports] tab on the top navigation bar and, then, selecting the CAASPP Student Score Data File.
- If the LEA is closing, download all available years of data, and securely provide the files to the appropriate agency that will need the student data in the future. Closed LEAs will not have access to TOMS. Direct funded charter schools that are closing should provide this information, including historical Student Score Reports, to their authorizer.
- If the LEA is a charter school that is changing funding status or authorized LEA, download all necessary reports from all years, as access to previous records will be removed after changing CDS codes during the downtime.
Note: LEAs will no longer have access to 2021–22 reports in TOMS and the Completion Status system after the downtime and should download any necessary reports prior to the downtime on July 29.
After Downtime on August 2, 2022
When systems resume, the LEA CAASPP coordinator for 2022–23 should take the following steps:
- Download the list of 2021–22 users in TOMS (if not already done), and then update the list to add, modify, or delete roles and users as needed for the 2022–23 administration. Coordinators can then upload the updated file to TOMS.
- Remind site staff members added to TOMS that they will need to log on to TOMS to complete the security affidavit and security agreements for 2022–23, as these are not rolled over to the new year. Note that users whose only role is IA Only will not be prompted to complete the security affidavit.
California Outreach Team
Contact Us: California Outreach web page