CAASPP Communication: August 2022
CAASPP email update, August 1, 2022.
This communication includes information and updates about the CAASPP .
Smarter Balanced Interim Assessments become available Tuesday, August 2, 2022—including new focused interim assessment blocks and performance tasks! The interim assessments continue to be available for remote administration, although use of the secure browser is required for in-person administration.
CAA for Science Administration
Administration of the 2022–23 California Alternate Assessment (CAA) for Science begins September 6, 2022.
- LEAs are required to administer all four of the CAA for Science embedded performance tasks, in any order, to all eligible students.
- These are administered one-on-one throughout the school year, shortly after the student has received the related science instruction.
- All four embedded performance tasks must be administered for the student to be considered as having completed the assessment.
- A test examiner must complete both the general and science sections of the CAA Test Examiner Tutorials before administering the CAA for Science to a student.
LEAs are encouraged to begin preparing for and administering the assessment early. Please visit the CAAs web page for more information on certification and administration.
To register or find additional details about upcoming trainings, including dates, times, or content, visit the CAASPP Training Opportunities web page.
August 3: Introduction to CERS for Teachers
This two-hour online training will engage attendees in the California Educator Reporting System (CERS) and will cover everything from an overview of CERS features and assessment results to resources to support classroom instruction. This training will also be offered in October and November. Register now for the August 2022 session, or any of the later sessions on the Introduction to CERS for Teachers registration web page.
August 4, 11, and 18: Assessment and Accountability, 2–4 p.m.
Registration is now open to all for the 2022 Assessment and Accountability Information Meeting (AAIM). The two-hour meeting sessions will provide coordinators with the latest information and updates on California's assessment and accountability systems. Send questions in advance by submitting them on an AAIM Q&A Form and register on the 2022 AAIM Webinar Registration web page.
August 9: CAA Test Examiner Tutorial
The CAA Test Examiner Tutorial will be available in the Moodle Training Site (Moodle) . The tutorial will cover general, nonsecure information and highlight best practices for the administration of the CAA for Science and the CAAs for English Language Arts/Literacy (ELA) and mathematics. Coordinators will receive an email prior to August 9 with more information.
August 9: Coffee Session, 2–3 p.m.
Beginning in August 2022, Coffee Sessions will occur every second Tuesday of the month. Register now for the August 2022 Coffee Session on the 2022–23 Coffee Sessions Webinar Registration web page. Use the 2022–23 CAASPP–ELPAC Coffee Session Content Request Form to submit questions, request demonstrations, or share a best practice.
August 9–31: Lexile and Quantile Training Series
Registration is now open to teachers and coordinators for this virtual training series where MetaMetrics will cover the Lexile and Quantile Frameworks and host deep-dive demonstration workshops on the Lexile & Quantile Hub tools. Register now for these sessions on the CAASPP Training Opportunities web page.
August 23: CAA Test Examiner Tutorial Q&A: What's New Overview
This question and answer session will help coordinators review and navigate the CAA test examiner training information available in Moodle. Register now on the CAA Test Examiner Tutorial Q&A: What's New Overview Webinar Registration web page.
September 8: Pretest Virtual Training
Registration is now open for the Pretest Virtual Training Series. The first two-hour session, Preparing for Summative Testing, will help LEA coordinators plan for the administration of the CAASPP and ELPAC summative assessments, develop plans for data quality checks, and prepare LEA systems for testing. Send questions in advance by submitting them on a Pretest Virtual Training Series Q&A Form . Registration coming soon.
September 22: New Coordinator Training Webinar #2, 3–4 p.m.
This webinar provides new coordinators information on accessibility resources and the coordinator role in relation to accessibility, as well as a question and answer session with experienced coordinators.
Manuals, Instructions, and Quick Reference Guides
Web Page Updates
- CAA Test Administration web page
- CAA for Science Form Assignments web page
- CAA for Science Administration Planning Guides web page
- How to Enter Student Test Assignments by Batch File Upload (Video: 05:05) video
- How to Enter Student Test Assignments One by One (Video: 04:20) video
Previous CAASPP Monthly Communications
Previous CAASPP monthly communications, as well as other email communications, can be found on the CAASPP Coordinator Emails web page.
- Direct questions about policies, regulations, and requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Contact your region's Success Agent for answers to questions about assessment coordination, development, and administration, as well as for technical support.
- Direct questions about Moodle , certification, and calibration to email@example.com.
- Get Answers from a new user-friendly lookup tool available to help LEA coordinators quickly find answers to the most common testing questions. Users can also suggest Additional Questions for the FAQ , which will be reviewed on a regular basis.
- Chat with Anita, your virtual assistant for LEA help, which is available on the CAASPP and ELPAC home pages. Unanswered questions will be routed to your LEA Success Agent.
California Outreach Team
Contact Us: California Outreach web page