CAASPP: Preparing to Transition to the 2021–22 Administration
CAASPP email update, August 4, 2021.
Dear LEA CAASPP Coordinator:
This email serves as a reminder of upcoming CAASPP system downtime from Friday, August 13, 2021, at 5 p.m. to Tuesday, August 17, 2021, at 8 a.m. to prepare for the transition to the CAASPP assessments for the 2021–22 school year. This downtime will affect several CAASPP systems.
Prior to Downtime on August 13
The LEA CAASPP coordinator for 2020–21 should:
- Ensure that the superintendent has designated an LEA CAASPP coordinator for 2021–22, so that they can add users to the Test Operations Management System (TOMS) when it becomes available on August 17, 2021. This is especially important if the LEA plans to administer assessments such as the Smarter Balanced Interim Assessments and the California Alternate Assessment for Science early in the school year.
- Download the list of 2020–21 TOMS users from the current version of TOMS to save for reference and to aid in uploading users after systems resume. This user list will also be available for download after systems resume on August 17.
- Download the 2018–19 student score data file for the LEA's records. This file will be removed during the downtime, as TOMS maintains only two years of historical data. The student score data file can be downloaded in TOMS by selecting the [Reports] tab in the top navigation bar and selecting the CAASPP Student Score Data File.
- If the LEA is closing, download all available years of data and securely provide the files to the appropriate agency that will need that student data in the future. Closed LEAs will not have access to TOMS. Direct funded charter schools that are closing should provide this information, including historical Student Score Reports, to their authorizer.
- Ensure that all interim assessment hand scoring is completed. All student responses will be removed from the Interim Assessment Hand Scoring System during the downtime and will no longer be available for hand scoring.
During the Downtime
During the downtime, the following system activity will take place:
- All student responses will be removed from the Interim Assessment Hand Scoring System and will no longer be available for hand scoring.
After Downtime on August 17
The LEA CAASPP coordinator should:
- Download the list of 2020–21 users in TOMS if not already done, then update the report to modify roles or add new users for the 2021–22 administration. Coordinators can then upload the updated file to TOMS.
- Remind LEA TOMS users that they will need to log on to TOMS to complete the security affidavit and security agreements for 2021–22; note that users whose role is IA Only will not be prompted to complete the security affidavit. TOMS user roles and security agreements from 2020–21 will not be automatically rolled over to the new year.
Questions regarding preparations for the upcoming downtime should be directed to CalTAC, by phone at 800-955-2954 or by email at email@example.com.