CAASPP: 2022–23 Deadline for Test Administration Window Setup
CAASPP email update, September 22, 2022.
Dear LEA CAASPP Coordinator:
The deadline for setting up a 2022–23 CAASPP test administration window in the Test Operations Management System (TOMS) is December 1, 2022. Users will not be able to set up a 2022–23 test administration window after December 1, 2022, and will need to contact the LEA's Success Agent or call CalTAC to set up the test administration window after this date.
Schools within an LEA may have varying instructional dates because of multiple tracks, which means LEA coordinators may need to set up more than one test administration window. The test administration window is applicable to the Smarter Balanced Summative Assessments, California Alternate Assessments (CAAs), and the California Science Test (CAST). Up to six test administration windows can be configured. LEAs must be sure to assign each school to a testing window.
The following are considerations when establishing the LEA's test administration window:
- LEAs must set up an instructional calendar that includes all noninstructional days in TOMS before setting up the LEA's test administration window(s).
- A CAASPP testing window must contain at least 25 instructional days. A testing window cannot start sooner than January 10, 2023.
- After setting up the test administration window(s), the LEA coordinator will use the [School Admin Assignment] tab to select the schools to associate with the test administration. This final step is crucial to begin testing. Quick instructions are available in the TOMS User Guide to assist with the completion of this process. These instructions are also included below.
- The CAA for Science is available from September 6, 2022, to the final day of the LEA's instructional calendar or July 15, 2022, whichever comes first. During the test administration setup in TOMS, the Activate checkbox is checked by default and cannot be edited, which means the selected testing window does not affect the administration of the CAA for Science.
- The California Spanish Assessment (CSA) cannot be administered sooner than January 10, 2023. However, the testing window for the CSA runs until the LEA's instructional end date or July 15, 2022, whichever comes first. During test administration setup in TOMS, the Activate checkbox for the CSA is unchecked because the CSA is optional; check this box to add the CSA to the selected testing window.
- Access to the Smarter Balanced summative assessments in ELA and mathematics, the CAAs for ELA and mathematics, and the CSA will open on the first day of the selected testing window. Once the selected testing window has closed, students in the LEA assigned to test during the window will no longer have access to these summative assessments. A testing window cannot be reopened.
- A demographic snapshot in TOMS is taken on the last day of the LEA's selected testing window or when a student exits a grade level or school. Students should not be exited from program participation in CALPADS until after the selected testing window has closed. Note: The following fields will be frozen when students first log on to a summative test: Grade Assessed, Date of Birth for Testing, Primary Language for Testing, English Language Acquisition Status for Testing, Special Education for Testing, Primary Disability Code for Testing, and SED for Testing.
The following are additional reminders of actions to take prior to testing:
- Verify that the primary shipping, secondary shipping, billing, and reporting shipping addresses listed for the LEA are correct in TOMS. To do this, select the [Organizations] tab in the top navigation bar, search for the LEA or entity within the LEA, and then select the [Addresses] tab. Note that each address must be a physical address; special version materials (braille and large print) cannot be shipped to a post office box.
- Ensure that all student information is up to date and correct in CALPADS.
California Outreach Team
Contact Us: California Outreach web page
Contact CalTAC: 800-955-2954
- Select the [VIEW] button to move to the View & Set Up Administrations for 2022–23 screen to work with a list of CAASPP administration calendars.
- Select the [Edit Calendar] or [Create Calendar] link in the Create/Edit Admin Calendar column to create or edit the instructional calendar for the corresponding test administration. This action takes the user to the Instructional Start/End Dates screen. For further information about editing an administration calendar, refer to Instructional Start/End Dates later in this chapter.
- Select the [View Summary] link in the Admin Calendar Summary column to view the administration calendar summary for the corresponding test administration. This action takes the user to the Admin Calendar Summary screen.
- Use the calendar icons to select the instructional calendar start date and the instructional calendar end date for the relevant test administration.
- Set a noninstructional date by selecting a white date box in the appropriate calendar. When the white date box turns to a blue oval, it is designated as a noninstructional date. Select a date with a blue oval to remove it as a noninstructional date.
- Use the Test Window Start/End Dates screen to set the test administration windows for each available test for the CAASPP program.
- Use the [School Admin Assignment] tab to select the schools to associate with the test administration.
- Select the schools to assign to a common test administration by selecting the checkbox to the left of the school name in the table. To select all of the schools in the LEA, select the "Select All" checkbox at the top of the table.
- Select the specific administration to which the school(s) should be assigned in the "Assign Selected Schools to Admin" section.
- Select the [APPLY] button to save any changes. A confirmation pop-up message is displayed; select the [CLOSE] button to close the pop-up.
- Repeat the preceding steps to assign unassigned schools to this administration or another administration.
- To return to the Administrations Table and continue working with the CAASPP administration calendars, select the [Admin Calendar] tab.
- Select the [Admin Table] button to return to the Administrations Table.
- Select the [Setup Another Admin] button to return to the Instructional Start/End Dates screen to set up another CAASPP administration calendar.