CAASPP: Smarter Balanced Interim Assessments Rescoring
CAASPP email update, December 9, 2020.
Dear LEA CAASPP Coordinator:
For the 2020–21 administration year, the California Department of Education implemented changes to the Smarter Balanced scale score ranges in some grades to raise the lowest obtainable scale score and raise the highest obtainable scale score. However, for students who tested prior to December 5, 2020, these changes were not applied to the Interim Comprehensive Assessments (ICAs) and Interim Assessment Blocks (IABs) for English language arts/literacy and mathematics. As a result, some students received a score inconsistent with either the current values for lowest or highest obtainable scale score.
Results affected by this issue were rescored on December 5, 2020, and reposted to CERS on Wednesday, December 9, 2020. Note the following about results for the 2020–21 interim assessments:
- Students who scored in the middle of the score range—the vast majority—were not affected and will not be rescored.
- Student scores will not decrease with this rescore.
- Some students who received the very lowest obtainable scale score will see their scores increase a few points.
- Some students who received the very highest obtainable scale score will see their scores increase.
- Some students who may have been missing scores will have scores in CERS.
Affected local educational agencies (LEAs) will receive a list of SSIDs that were rescored by December 11, 2020.
Questions regarding the rescoring of the Smarter Balanced Interim Assessments for the 2020–21 CAASPP administration should be directed to CalTAC, by phone at 800-955-2954 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.