Latest News and Tips for the CAASPP Administration
- The latest release of the Chrome operating system, v72, is not compatible with the secure browser used for all CAASPP testing. Chromebooks that have been updated to this latest operating system will display a logon error that prevents online testing. Windows and Mac devices are not impacted. We recommend Chromebook users disable the auto update feature and avoid updating their devices to the latest operating system version until the incompatibility has been resolved. (Posted 02/15/19)
Please join us for the 2018–19 CAASPP The Results are In—Now What?: Analyzing Assessment Results to Inform Teaching and Learning workshop. The workshop will focus on the following objectives:
- How a data analysis protocol can support a root cause analysis and discussion about programs, policies, and practices that can inform actions to improve teaching and learning
- How to analyze and use the 2018–19 (and previous years’) results to inform teaching and learning
- How to access and use supplementary resources and reference materials to inform the interpretation of student results
- How to display results to varied stakeholder audiences for a particular purpose
- LEA CAASPP or ELPAC coordinators can now generate credentials (i.e., a User Name and Secret Key) in the TOMS to provide to your parent or student portal vendor. Refer to the How to Generate Credentials for Student Information System Vendors in TOMS quick reference guide for instructions on how to generate the User Name and Secret Key.
- The archive webcast and PowerPoint slides with notes for the 2018–19 CAASPP and ELPAC Pretest Administration Workshop is now available on the bottom of the Videos and Archived Webcasts page.
- The California Department of Education (CDE) is pleased to announce a new contest, Science – It’s Elementary! Open to kindergarten through grade five California public school teachers, the CDE is calling for submissions demonstrating the use of the formative assessment process in the study of science. The contest seeks to feature classrooms where the formative assessment process is used to guide the study of science phenomena based on the California Next Generation Science Standards (CA NGSS).
- The California Alternate Assessment (CAAs) for Science webcast is now available on the Videos and Archived Webcasts page. The webcast provides background information on the CAA for Science, a new planning resource called the Administration Planning Guide, the step-by-step sequence of how an embedded performance task, or embedded PT, is administered, test security procedures, checklists, reporting and tracking, and the training resources that were developed this year.
- The California Science Test (CAST) Periodic Table is now available on the CAST information web page. The CAST assessments for grade eight and high school include a periodic table and a reference list of formulas that students may access during online testing as universal tools. Files that contain a periodic table of elements and reference list of formulas that can be embossed in braille are forthcoming. (Posted 11/16/2018)
- California teachers are invited to contribute their expertise to the test development process. Fill out an online application to be considered for CAASPP review activities. (Posted 7/21/16)
The 2018‒19 Operational California Science Test (CAST) Administration live webcast is scheduled for February 27, 2019, from 3 p.m. to 4 p.m. Pacific time.
Testing in California
California local educational agency (LEA) testing coordinators can use this website to find helpful information, instructions, training, forms, and external links for test administration.
LEAs are administering the following tests in 2018–19:
English language arts/literacy and mathematics assessments (grades three through eight and grade eleven):
- Smarter Balanced
- California Alternate Assessments (CAAs)
Science assessments (grades five and eight and high school):
- California Science Test
- CAA for Science
Spanish assessments (grades three through eight and high school):
- California Spanish Assessment