Smarter Balanced Assessments for English Language Arts/Literacy and Mathematics
Students in grades three through eight and grade eleven will receive full-length summative tests for both English language arts/literacy and mathematics, with approximately seven to eight hours of total testing time for each student. Every device used for testing must have the secure browser installed. Stable, high-speed Internet is required.
Visit the California Department of Education (CDE) California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress (CAASPP) System Web page for additional information about the Smarter Balanced Assessment System.
2016–17 Smarter Balanced Online Summative Test Administration Manuals
Online Test Administration Manual for CAASPP Testing—Select this link to expand or collapse the list of downloadable options. (Posted 01/09/17.)
- Online Test Administration Manual for CAASPP Testing—Entire manual
- Chapter 1. CAASPP Testing Overview
- Chapter 2. Test Administration Resources
- Chapter 3. Test Security
- Chapter 4. Administration Preparation and Planning
- Chapter 5. Pilot of the Science Assessments
- Chapter 6. Administering the Summative Assessments to Students
- Chapter 7. Overview of the Student Testing Application
- Chapter 8. Appendixes
2016–17 Smarter Balanced Paper-Pencil Test Administration Manuals Directions for Administration (DFAs)
Requests for Smarter Balanced paper-pencil tests should be submitted by September 30, 2016, for review and approval by the CDE.
2016–17 Other Resources
- CAASPP Student Accessibility Resources and Test Settings Web page
- CDE CAASPP Student Accessibility Supports Web page
- 2016–17 Individual Student Assessment Accessibility Profile (ISAAP) Tool (Posted 11/14/16.)
- CAASPP 2016–17 Online Student Test Settings Template for Batch Upload—Includes information, specifications, and instructions tabs (Posted 11/28/16.)
Please convert this file to .csv format before you upload it to TOMS.
Estimated Testing Times for Smarter Balanced Assessments
This table contains rough estimates of the time most students will take to complete the Smarter Balanced online assessments. This information is for scheduling purposes only, as the assessments are not timed.
|Content Area||Grades||Computer Adaptive Test items
|Performance Task (PT)
English Language Arts/Literacy