Smarter Balanced Assessments for English Language Arts/Literacy and Mathematics
Students in grades three through eight and grade eleven will receive full-length summative tests for both English language arts/literacy and mathematics, with approximately seven to eight hours of total testing time for each student. Every device used for testing must have the secure browser installed. Stable, high-speed Internet is required.
Visit the California Department of Education (CDE) California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress (CAASPP) System web page for additional information about the Smarter Balanced Assessment System.
2018–19 Smarter Balanced Online Summative Test Administration Manuals
CAASPP Online Test Administration Manual for CAASPP—Select this link to expand or collapse the list of downloadable options. (Updated 01/08/19)
- Online Test Administration Manual for CAASPP Testing—Entire manual (Updated 01/08/19)–Download the chapter 8 for the updated Smarter Balanced test administration scripts.
- Chapter 1. CAASPP Testing Overview (Updated 01/08/19)
- Chapter 2. Test Administration Resources (Updated 01/08/19)
- Chapter 3. Test Security (Updated 01/08/19)
- Chapter 4. Administration Preparation and Planning (Updated 01/08/19)
- Chapter 5. Science Assessments (Updated 01/08/19)
- Chapter 6. California Spanish Assessment (Updated 01/08/19)
- Chapter 7. Using the Test Administrator Interface with Summative Assessments (Updated 01/08/19)
- Chapter 8. Scripts for Administering Smarter Balanced Summative Assessments and the California Science Test to Students (Updated 04/12/19)
- Chapter 9. Scripts for Administering the California Spanish Assessment to Students (Updated 04/12/19)
- Chapter 10. Overview of the Student Testing Application (Updated 01/08/19)
- Chapter 11. Appendices (Updated 01/08/19)
- Directions for Administration of the Smarter Balanced Online Summative Assessments and California Science Test (Posted Updated 04/12/19)
2018–19 Smarter Balanced Paper-Pencil Test Administration Materials
- Data Entry Interface User Guide (Posted 04/12/19)
- Paper-Pencil Testing Test Administration Manual for Smarter Balanced Summative Assessments (Posted 04/15/19)
2018–19 Other Resources
- CAASPP Student Accessibility Resources and Test Settings web page
- CDE CAASPP Student Accessibility Resources web page
- 2018–19 Individual Student Assessment Accessibility Profile (ISAAP) Tool (Posted 09/10/18)
- CAASPP 2018–19 Online Student Test Settings Template for Batch Upload (Excel)—Includes information, specifications, and instructions tabs (Posted 09/10/18)
Please convert this file to .csv format before you upload it to TOMS.
Estimated Testing Times for Smarter Balanced Assessments
This table contains rough estimates of the time most students will take to complete the Smarter Balanced online assessments for English language arts/literacy (ELA) and mathematics. This information is for scheduling purposes only, as the assessments are not timed.
|Content Area||Grades||Computer Adaptive Test Items
|Performance Task (PT)