Interim Assessment Administration Resources
Available through June 30, 2020, the California Department of Education will allow teachers to administer interim tests to students remotely without the use of a secure browser. Students can access interim assessment items using the mobile launchpad with a Chrome or Firefox browser on their personal computers. If using an iPad device, students must use the AIRSecureTest Mobile Secure Browser mobile app from the App Store instead of using the Chrome or Firefox mobile browser apps.
The following documents will assist teachers and students in using the interim assessments for distance learning:
- For teachers: Administering Smarter Balanced Interim Assessments Remotely—Quick Guide for Teachers
- For students and parents/guardians: How Students Take CAASPP Interim Assessments at Home
- For students and parents/guardians (Spanish): Como pueden los estudiantes tomar las Evaluaciones Interinas CAASPP desde casa
The Smarter Balanced Remote Teaching and Learning Website contains additional information regarding interim assessments and other distance learning resources.
These resources support the Smarter Balanced Interim Assessments
- Select this button to access the interim assessments for professional development and/or training purposes.
- Test Operations Management System (TOMS)
- Select this button to assign user roles for the Digital Library and California Educator Reporting System, and to view student test settings, including accommodations, before interim testing begins.
Note: To create/manage student groups, go to the California Educator Reporting System.
- Test Administrator Interface for All Online Tests
- Select this button to access the
Test Administrator Interface
that is used to access all
CAASPP online assessments
including the summative, interim,
and alternate assessments.
- Select this button to access the system that will allow you to see the completion status for students taking the interim assessments.
Hand Scoring Training Guides
- Select this button to access the interim assessment hand scoring training guides and exemplars. Upon selecting this button, select the [Resources] tab at the top.
Hand Scoring System
- Select this button to access the system that will allow you to score student responses to interim assessment items that require hand scoring.
Reporting System (CERS)
- Select this button to access interim assessment results or, for group administrators only, create/manage student groups.
- Select this button to access the sandbox training tool. Username and password are not required, but users are prompted to select a role before entering the sandbox.
Interim Assessment User Guide—Select this link to expand or collapse the list of downloadable options. (Posted 01/27/20)
- Interim Assessment User Guide—Entire manual (Posted 01/27/20)
- Chapter 1: Introduction (Posted 01/27/20)
- Chapter 2: Interim Assessment Viewing System (Posted 01/27/20)
- Chapter 3: Interim Assessment Administration (Posted 01/27/20)
- Chapter 4: Interim Assessment Hand Scoring System (Posted 01/27/20)
- Chapter 5: California Educator Reporting System (Posted 01/27/20)
- Chapter 6: Appendices (Posted 01/27/20)
- California Educator Reporting System (CERS) User Guide (Posted 12/06/19)
- Interim Assessment Reporting System Sandbox User Guide (Posted 12/30/19)
- 2019–20 Guide to CAASPP and ELPAC Completion Status and Roster Management (Posted 11/18/19)
- Quick Reference Guide: How to Access the Interim Assessment Viewing System Updated (03/21/19)
- Instructions for Using Embedded Glossaries
- Smarter Balanced Guidelines for Read Aloud, Test Reader
- Scribing Protocol for Smarter Balanced Assessments
- Manner of Administration Tip Sheet (September 2017)
- Data Dictionary for Reporting System Exports–March 2019 (Posted 03/26/19)
- California Department of Education Smarter Balanced Interim Assessment Video Series web page (November 2019)
- CAASPP in Action Series
- California Educator Reporting System (CERS) Assessment Results Flyer (Posted 12/06/19)
- California Educator Reporting System (CERS) Sandbox Flyer (Posted 12/06/19)
|Smarter Balanced Training Tests, Practice Tests, and Interim Assessments At-a-Glance||This document provides a side-by-side comparison of training tests, practice tests, and interim assessments to help teachers decide which tool best fits their needs.|
|2019–20 Smarter Balanced Interim Assessments At-a-Glance||This document lists all IABs available by grade level ELA and mathematics.|
|2019–20 Interim Assessments by Grade||This document is intended to assist LEA staff in planning for the administration and local hand scoring of the Interim Comprehensive Assessments (ICAs) and the Interim Assessment Blocks (IABs). The table provides key information, including the claims, targets, the total number of items, and the number of items that require local hand scoring by grade level.|
|2019‒20 Interim Assessment Overview||This document provides a description of the interim assessments that include the types, features, and usage. For both English language arts/literacy (ELA) and mathematics, and by each grade, it provides an at-a-glance summary of the interim assessments that includes the focused Interim Assessment Blocks (IABs).|
|California Educator Reporting System Sandbox||The reporting system sandbox is a training tool intended to help local educational agency (LEA) staff learn about the features and functions of the California Educator Reporting System in a non-secure environment. It offers users virtually the same functions as the reporting system, but uses practice test items and fictitious student data.
Note: The best browsers to use for the Sandbox are Edge, Chrome, and Firefox. The Sandbox is not fully compatible with Microsoft Internet Explorer and some screens will not display properly.
|California Department of Education (CDE) Interim Assessments web page||Additional resources for the interim assessments are available on the CDE website.|