California Science Test (CAST)
The California Science Test (CAST) is an online test based on the California Next Generation Science Standards. All local educational agencies (LEAs) with eligible students in grades five and eight will administer a pilot CAST. LEAs with eligible students in high school (i.e., students in grades ten, eleven, or twelve) will be pre-selected and only one grade will participate in the spring 2017 pilot. The CAST pilot uses the current California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress test delivery system and will only be administered online. Students will not receive scores for the pilot test; however, student participation data will be collected and reported for accountability.
Who takes the CAST pilot? Participation in the CAST pilot is required for all students in grades five and eight, and for the pre-selected high school grades with the exception of eligible students who will take the California Alternate Assessment for Science pilot.
2016-17 CAST Pilot Test Materials
Online Test Administration Manual for CAASPP Testing—Select this link to expand or collapse the list of downloadable options. (Posted 01/09/17.)
- Online Test Administration Manual for CAASPP Testing—Entire manual
- Chapter 1. CAASPP Testing Overview
- Chapter 2. Test Administration Resources
- Chapter 3. Test Security
- Chapter 4. Administration Preparation and Planning
- Chapter 5. Pilot of the Science Assessments
- Chapter 6. Administering the Summative Assessments to Students
- Chapter 7. Overview of the Student Testing Application
- Chapter 8. Appendixes
- Directions for Administration of the Smarter Balanced Online Summative Assessments and California Science Test (Posted 01/16/17.)
Science Reference Tools:
These grade-level reference materials are to be printed and used as non-embedded accommodations for the CAST; there is no requirement to use these materials in the classroom. Instructions for enlargement if the student requires either the periodic table, the reference sheet, or both the periodic table and the reference sheet be enlarged and printed on 11x17 paper by the test administrator, are forthcoming. Note that these PDFs do not currently meet Web Content Accessibility Guidelines.
- Grade Five Science Periodic Table of the Elements
- Grade Eight Science Periodic Table of the Elements
- High School Science Periodic Table of the Elements