Test Administrator Resources for Summative Assessments
These resources support administration of the California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress (CAASPP) Smarter Balanced Summative Assessments and California Science Tests (CAST).
- Directions for Administration of the Smarter Balanced Online Summative Assessments and California Science Test (Updated 04/12/19)
- Directions for Administration of the California Spanish Assessment (Updated 04/12/19)
CAASPP Online Test Administration Manual for CAASPP
- Online Test Administration Manual for CAASPP Testing—Entire manual (Updated 01/08/19)—Select this link to expand or collapse the list of downloadable options. (Updated 01/08/19)–Download the chapter 8 (CAASPP Smarter Balanced/CAST) and chapter 9 (CSA) for updated test administration scripts.
- Chapter 1. CAASPP Testing Overview (Updated 01/08/19)
- Chapter 2. Test Administration Resources (Updated 01/08/19)
- Chapter 3. Test Security (Updated 01/08/19)
- Chapter 4. Administration Preparation and Planning (Updated 01/08/19)
- Chapter 5. Science Assessments (Updated 01/08/19)
- Chapter 6. California Spanish Assessment (Updated 01/08/19)
- Chapter 7. Using the Test Administrator Interface with Summative Assessments (Updated 01/08/19)
- Chapter 8. Scripts for Administering Smarter Balanced Summative Assessments and the California Science Test to Students (Updated 04/12/19)
- Chapter 9. Scripts for Administering the California Spanish Assessment to Students (Updated 04/12/19)
- Chapter 10. Overview of the Student Testing Application (Updated 01/08/19)
- Chapter 11. Appendices (Updated 01/08/19)
- Guide to CAASPP Completion Status and Roster Management (Posted 10/18/18)
Calculator Availability and Sample Calculators
Certain sections of the Smarter Balanced Online Assessments for Mathematics for grades six through eight and grade 11, the Smarter Balanced summative mathematics assessments are divided into two sections: Calculator Available and Calculator Not Available.
- Grades three through five: No calculator used for on-screen Smarter Balanced assessment
- Grade six: Four-function Calculator
- Grades seven and eight: Scientific Calculator
- High school/grade eleven: Graphing Calculator
- Smarter Balanced Translated Test Directions (non-embedded)
- CAST Translated Test Directions (non-embedded)
- Multiplication Table
A non-embedded accommodation (mathematics) only for students with an individualized education program (IEP) or Section 504 plan only in grades four through eight and grade eleven.
- 100s Number Table
A non-embedded accommodation (mathematics) only for students with an IEP or Section 504 plan only in grades four through eight and grade eleven.
- The CAST field tests for grades eight and high school include a periodic table and reference sheets that students access during online testing as universal tools. These grade-level reference materials may be accessed to print and use as non-embedded designated supports for the CAST; there is no requirement to use these materials in the classroom. These reference tools are not meant to guide instruction. See the Printing Enlarged Science Reference Tools quick start guide if the student requires a science reference tool to be enlarged and printed on 11x17 paper by the test administrator.
- Periodic Table of the Elements for Grade Eight and High School
- Grade Eight Reference Sheet (Posted 11/01/17)
- High School Reference Sheet (Posted 11/01/17)
Test Administrator Instructions
- Quick Reference Guide—How to Start a Test Session (Posted 03/28/17)
- Test Administrator Checklist (Posted 02/25/19)
- Instructions for Using Embedded Glossaries
- Smarter Balanced Guidelines for Read Aloud, Test Reader
- Scribing Protocol for Smarter Balanced Assessments
- 2018–19 CAASPP Test Security Affidavit for Test Administrators, Test Examiners, Proctors, Translators, Scribes, and Any Other Person Having Access to CAASPP Tests (Posted 05/08/18)
For resources supporting administration of the California Alternate Assessments:
See the California Alternate Assessments web page.