Test Administrator Resources for Summative Assessments
These resources support administration of the California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress (CAASPP) Smarter Balanced Summative Assessments and California Science Tests (CAST).
- Directions for Administration of the Smarter Balanced Online Summative Assessments and California Science Test (Posted 01/09/18)
- Online Test Administration Manual for CAASPP Testing—Entire manual (Posted 01/09/18)
- Chapter 1. CAASPP Testing Overview (UPosted 01/09/18)
- Chapter 2. Test Administration Resources (Posted 01/09/18)
- Chapter 3. Test Security (Posted 01/09/18)
- Chapter 4. Administration Preparation and Planning (Posted 01/09/18)
- Chapter 5. Pilot of the Science Assessments (Posted 01/09/18)
- Chapter 6. Administering the Summative Assessments to Students (Posted 01/09/18)
- Chapter 7. Overview of the Student Testing Application (Posted 01/09/18)
- Chapter 8. Appendixes (Posted 01/09/18)
Guide to CAASPP Completion Status and Roster Management—Select this link to expand or collapse the list of downloadable options. (Posted 09/22/17)
- Guide to CAASPP Completion Status and Roster Management—Entire manual
- Introduction to the Manual
- Chapter 1: Navigating the Completion Status and Roster Management System—Information about user roles, access, and system features
- Chapter 2: Completion Status Reports—How to generate completion status and test completion rates reports
- Chapter 3: Roster Management—How to add and view rosters
- Chapter 4: Appendixes—User support
Calculator Availability and Sample Calculators
Certain sections of the Smarter Balanced Online Assessments for Mathematics for grades six through eight and grade 11, the Smarter Balanced summative mathematics assessments are divided into two sections: Calculator Available and Calculator Not Available.
- Grades three through five: No calculator used for on-screen Smarter Balanced assessment
- Grade six: Four-function Calculator
- Grades seven and eight: Scientific Calculator
- High school/grade eleven: Graphing Calculator
- Smarter Balanced Translated Test Directions (non-embedded)
- CAST Translated Test Directions (non-embedded)—Materials are forthcoming.
- Multiplication Table
A non-embedded accommodation (mathematics) only for students with an individualized education program (IEP) or Section 504 plan only in grades four through eight and grade eleven.
- 100s Number Table
A non-embedded accommodation (mathematics) only for students with an IEP or Section 504 plan only in grades four through eight and grade eleven.
- The CAST field tests for grades eight and high school include a periodic table and reference sheets that students access during online testing as universal tools. These grade-level reference materials may be accessed to print and use as non-embedded designated supports for the CAST; there is no requirement to use these materials in the classroom. These reference tools are not meant to guide instruction. See the Printing Enlarged Science Reference Tools quick start guide if the student requires a science reference tool to be enlarged and printed on 11x17 paper by the test administrator.
- Periodic Table of the Elements for Grade Eight and High School
- Grade Eight Reference Sheet (Posted 11/01/17)—The grade eight reference sheet will be used on the 2017–18 field test and the training test that will be updated in spring 2018. Note that this reference sheet is not associated with the current training test.
- High School Reference Sheet (Posted 11/01/17)—The high school reference sheet will be used on the 2017–18 field test and the training test that will be updated in spring 2018. Note that this reference sheet is not associated with the current training test.
Test Administrator Instructions
- Quick Reference Guide—How to Start a Test Session (Posted 03/28/17)
- Test Administrator Checklist (Posted 01/09/18)
- Instructions for Using Embedded Glossaries
- Smarter Balanced Guidelines for Read Aloud, Test Reader
- Scribing Protocol for Smarter Balanced Assessments
- 2017–18 CAASPP Test Security Affidavit for Test Administrators, Test Examiners, Proctors, Translators, Scribes, and Any Other Person Having Access to CAASPP Tests (Posted 06/12/17)
For resources supporting administration of the California Alternate Assessments:
See the California Alternate Assessments Web page.