Test Administrator Resources for Summative Assessments
These resources support administration of the California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress (CAASPP) Smarter Balanced Summative Assessments and California Science Tests (CAST).
Online Test Administration Manual for CAASPP Testing—Select this link to expand or collapse the list of downloadable options. (Posted 01/09/17.)
- Online Test Administration Manual for CAASPP Testing—Entire manual
- Chapter 1. CAASPP Testing Overview
- Chapter 2. Test Administration Resources
- Chapter 3. Test Security
- Chapter 4. Administration Preparation and Planning
- Chapter 5. Pilot of the Science Assessments
- Chapter 6. Administering the Summative Assessments to Students
- Chapter 7. Overview of the Student Testing Application
- Chapter 8. Appendixes
- Directions for Administration of the Smarter Balanced Online Summative Assessments and California Science Test (Posted 01/16/17.)
Guide to CAASPP Completion Status and Roster Management—Select this link to expand or collapse the list of downloadable options. (Posted 10/25/16.)
- Guide to CAASPP Completion Status and Roster Management—Entire manual
- Introduction to Completion Status and Roster Management
- Section I: System Requirements
- Section II: Navigating the Completion Status and Roster Management System—How to access the system
- Section III: Preparing for Testing—How to add and view rosters
- Section IV: Administering Tests—How to check completion statuses and generate reports
Certain sections of the Smarter Balanced Online Assessments for Mathematics for grades six through eight and grade eleven include an embedded calculator for students to use during that portion of the test. See the Smarter Balanced Calculator Availability for Operational Assessments Web document for more information about these calculators. The calculators linked here are sample calculators that students can access; they are also available in the practice tests.
Beginning with the 2016–17 administration, CAASPP is upgrading to the Desmos calculator for online testing. The publicly available Desmos calculator will vary slightly from the Desmos calculator students will use in the online test delivery system. In the Desmos testing calculator, some calculator features are suppressed (e.g., the calculator’s ability to solve algebraic equations) to maintain the construct of the test. An exact representation of the calculator used in operational testing is available in the practice and training tests. See the New Online Calculator for the CAASPP System presentation for more information about the new calculator.
- Smarter Balanced Translated Test Directions (non-embedded)
- Multiplication Table
A non-embedded accommodation (mathematics) for students with an individualized education program (IEP) or Section 504 plan in grades four through eight and grade eleven.
- 100s Number Table
A non-embedded accommodation (mathematics) for students with an IEP or Section 504 plan in grades four through eight and grade eleven.
- Science Reference Tools
These grade-level reference materials are to be printed and used as non-embedded designated supports for the CAST; there is no requirement to use these materials in the classroom. Instructions for enlarging and printing on 11x17 paper by the test administrator if required by the student are forthcoming. Note that these PDFs do not currently meet Web Content Accessibility Guidelines.
Test Administrator Instructions
- Test Administrator Checklist (Posted 01/24/17.)
- Instructions for Using Embedded Glossaries
- Smarter Balanced Guidelines for Read Aloud, Test Reader
- Scribing Protocol for Smarter Balanced Assessments
- 2016–17 CAASPP Test Security Affidavit for Test Examiners, Proctors, Scribes, and Any Other Persons Having Access to CAASPP Tests (Posted 06/08/16.)
For resources supporting administration of the California Alternate Assessments:
See the California Alternate Assessments Web page.