Test Administrator Resources for Summative Assessments
These resources support administration of the California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress (CAASPP) Smarter Balanced Summative Assessments and California Science Tests (CAST).
Online Test Administration Manual for CAASPP Testing—Select this link to expand or collapse the list of downloadable options. (Posted 01/09/17.)
- Online Test Administration Manual for CAASPP Testing—Entire manual
- Chapter 1. CAASPP Testing Overview
- Chapter 2. Test Administration Resources
- Chapter 3. Test Security
- Chapter 4. Administration Preparation and Planning
- Chapter 5. Pilot of the Science Assessments
- Chapter 6. Administering the Summative Assessments to Students
- Chapter 7. Overview of the Student Testing Application
- Chapter 8. Appendixes
- Directions for Administration of the Smarter Balanced Online Summative Assessments and California Science Test (Posted 01/16/17.)
- Guide to CAASPP Completion Status and Roster Management (Updated 02/14/17.)
Certain sections of the Smarter Balanced Online Assessments for Mathematics for grades six through eight and grade eleven include an embedded calculator for students to use during that portion of the test. See the Smarter Balanced Calculator Availability for Operational Assessments Web document for more information about these calculators. The calculators linked here are sample calculators that students can access; they are also available in the practice tests.
Beginning with the 2016–17 administration, CAASPP is upgrading to the Desmos calculator for online testing. The publicly available Desmos calculator will vary slightly from the Desmos calculator students will use in the online test delivery system. In the Desmos testing calculator, some calculator features are suppressed (e.g., the calculator’s ability to solve algebraic equations) to maintain the construct of the test. An exact representation of the calculator used in operational testing is available in the practice and training tests. See the New Online Calculator for the CAASPP System presentation for more information about the new calculator.
- Smarter Balanced Translated Test Directions (non-embedded)
- Multiplication Table
A non-embedded accommodation (mathematics) for students with an individualized education program (IEP) or Section 504 plan in grades four through eight and grade eleven.
- 100s Number Table
A non-embedded accommodation (mathematics) for students with an IEP or Section 504 plan in grades four through eight and grade eleven.
- The CAST pilot assessments for grades eight and high school include a periodic table and reference sheets that students access during online testing as universal tools. These grade-level reference materials may be accessed to print and use as non-embedded designated supports for the CAST; there is no requirement to use these materials in the classroom. These reference tools are not meant to guide instruction. See the Printing Enlarged Science Reference Tools quick start guide if the student requires a science reference tool to be enlarged and printed on 11x17 paper by the test administrator. Note that the science reference tool PDFs do not currently meet Web Content Accessibility Guidelines.
Test Administrator Instructions
- Quick Reference Guide—How to Start a Test Session (Posted 03/28/17.)
- Test Administrator Checklist (Posted 01/24/17.)
- Instructions for Using Embedded Glossaries
- Smarter Balanced Guidelines for Read Aloud, Test Reader
- Scribing Protocol for Smarter Balanced Assessments
- 2016–17 CAASPP Test Security Affidavit for Test Examiners, Proctors, Scribes, and Any Other Persons Having Access to CAASPP Tests (Posted 06/08/16.)
For resources supporting administration of the California Alternate Assessments:
See the California Alternate Assessments Web page.