Smarter Balanced Assessments for English Language Arts/Literacy and Mathematics
Students in grades three through eight and grade eleven will receive full-length summative tests for both English language arts/literacy and mathematics, with approximately seven to eight hours of total testing time for each student. Every device used for testing must have the secure browser installed. Stable, high-speed Internet is required.
Visit the California Department of Education (CDE) California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress (CAASPP) System Web page for additional information about the Smarter Balanced Assessment System.
2016–17 Smarter Balanced Online Summative Test Administration Manuals
Online Test Administration Manual for CAASPP Testing—Select this link to expand or collapse the list of downloadable options. (Updated 03/22/17.)
- Online Test Administration Manual for CAASPP Testing—Entire manual (Updated 03/22/17.)
- Chapter 1. CAASPP Testing Overview (Updated 03/22/17.)
- Chapter 2. Test Administration Resources (Updated 03/22/17.)
- Chapter 3. Test Security (Updated 03/22/17.)
- Chapter 4. Administration Preparation and Planning (Updated 03/22/17.)
- Chapter 5. Pilot of the Science Assessments (Updated 03/22/17.)
- Chapter 6. Administering the Summative Assessments to Students (Updated 03/22/17.)
- Chapter 7. Overview of the Student Testing Application (Updated 03/22/17.)
- Chapter 8. Appendixes (Updated 03/22/17.)
- Directions for Administration of the Smarter Balanced Online Summative Assessments and California Science Test (Updated 03/22/17.)
2016–17 Smarter Balanced Paper-Pencil Test Administration Manuals
- Materials Return Instructions (Posted 04/20/17.)
Directions for Administration (DFAs):
Requests for Smarter Balanced paper-pencil tests should be submitted by September 30, 2016, for review and approval by the CDE.
2016–17 Other Resources
- CAASPP Student Accessibility Resources and Test Settings Web page
- CDE CAASPP Student Accessibility Supports Web page
- 2016–17 Individual Student Assessment Accessibility Profile (ISAAP) Tool (Posted 11/14/16.)
- CAASPP 2016–17 Online Student Test Settings Template for Batch Upload—Includes information, specifications, and instructions tabs (Posted 11/28/16.)
Please convert this file to .csv format before you upload it to TOMS.
Estimated Testing Times for Smarter Balanced Assessments
This table contains rough estimates of the time most students will take to complete the Smarter Balanced online assessments. This information is for scheduling purposes only, as the assessments are not timed.
|Content Area||Grades||Computer Adaptive Test items
|Performance Task (PT)
English Language Arts/Literacy