Smarter Balanced Assessments for English Language Arts/Literacy and Mathematics
Students in grades three through eight and grade eleven will receive full-length summative tests for both English language arts/literacy and mathematics, with approximately seven to eight hours of total testing time for each student. Every device used for testing must have the secure browser installed. Stable, high-speed Internet is required.
Visit the California Department of Education (CDE) California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress (CAASPP) System Web page for additional information about the Smarter Balanced Assessment System.
2017–18 Smarter Balanced Online Summative Test Administration Manuals
Online Test Administration Manual for CAASPP Testing—Select this link to expand or collapse the list of downloadable options. (Posted 01/09/18.)
- Online Test Administration Manual for CAASPP Testing—Entire manual (Posted 01/09/18)
- Chapter 1. CAASPP Testing Overview (Posted 01/09/18))
- Chapter 2. Test Administration Resources (Posted 01/09/18)
- Chapter 3. Test Security (Posted 01/09/18)
- Chapter 4. Administration Preparation and Planning (Posted 01/09/18)
- Chapter 5. Pilot of the Science Assessments (Posted 01/09/18)
- Chapter 6. Administering the Summative Assessments to Students (Posted 01/09/18)
- Chapter 7. Overview of the Student Testing Application (Posted 01/09/18)
- Chapter 8. Appendixes (Posted 01/09/18)
- Directions for Administration of the Smarter Balanced Online Summative Assessments and California Science Test (Posted 01/09/18)
2017–18 Smarter Balanced Paper-Pencil Test Administration Manuals
- Large-Print and Braille Instructions—For use with Smarter Balanced paper-pencil tests (Posted 01/10/18)
2017–18 Other Resources
- CAASPP Student Accessibility Resources and Test Settings Web page
- CDE CAASPP Student Accessibility Supports Web page
- 2017–18 Individual Student Assessment Accessibility Profile (ISAAP) Tool (Updated 09/05/17)
- CAASPP 2017–18 Online Student Test Settings Template for Batch Upload—Includes information, specifications, and instructions tabs (Updated 09/05/17)
Please convert this file to .csv format before you upload it to TOMS.
Estimated Testing Times for Smarter Balanced Assessments
This table contains rough estimates of the time most students will take to complete the Smarter Balanced online assessments. This information is for scheduling purposes only, as the assessments are not timed.
|Content Area||Grades||Computer Adaptive Test items
|Performance Task (PT)
English Language Arts/Literacy