California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress (CAASPP) Security and Test Administration Incident Reporting System (STAIRS)/Appeals Process for Summative Assessments
The online California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress (CAASPP) STAIRS form is the starting point for local educational agency (LEA) CAASPP and CAASPP test site coordinators to report a test security incident or other testing issue that interferes with the administration and completion of the assessment. It is also a mandatory first step before an Appeal can be filed.
LEA CAASPP coordinators and CAASPP test site coordinators must ensure that all test security incidents are documented by means of the STAIRS/Appeals process. After the web form is submitted, TOMS provides the means to file an Appeal. The submitter receives a confirmation email containing a case number; the LEA CAASPP coordinator is copied if the form is submitted by the CAASPP test site coordinator. Ensure that communications generated by the email address caaspp@ETS.org are not automatically sent to a junk mail or spam folder.
|CAASPP coordinators may file an Appeal request if they have been instructed to do so after reporting the incident in STAIRS.|
Information about Test Security Incidents
- CAASPP Security Incidents and Appeals Procedure Guide—Entire manual (Posted 02/25/19.)
- How to Submit a Security Incident (Posted 04/19/19)
LEA CAASPP coordinators and CAASPP test site coordinators should take the following steps when notification is received of a testing incident:
|Note: Please contact the California Technical Assistance Center (CalTAC) directly for administration window extension requests.|
- Review the information provided and verify that the occurrence is an incident by consulting the STAIRS Applicable Testing Issues list. (Updated 02/25/19)
- Review the information provided and verify that the occurrence is a testing incident that requires that a report be filed.
- Access the Test Operations Management System (TOMS) to enter data into the CAASPP STAIRS form:
- Select the [STAIRS/Appeals] button in the left navigation bar.
- Follow the online prompts to complete the steps to submit the STAIRS/Appeals web form.
- You will be prompted to file an Appeal if one is required.
To expedite the processing of your incident or Appeal, please provide the CDE or test security personnel with any additional information that is requested. Keep any documentation associated with the incident for one year.
STAIRS Video Tutorial (Updated 04/24/19)