California Alternate Assessments (CAAs)
The summative California Alternate Assessments (CAAs) for English language arts/literacy (ELA), mathematics, and science are administered to eligible students. The CAAs are for students with the most significant cognitive disabilities and whose individualized education program (IEP) team has designated the use of an alternate assessment on statewide summative assessments.
Eligible students are those whose disability prevents them from taking the Smarter Balanced Summative Assessments for ELA and mathematics and the California Science Test.
ELA and Mathematics
The CAA for ELA and CAA for mathematics are available in grades three through eight and grade eleven and are delivered one on one by a trained CAA test examiner familiar to the student. Version assignments for 2017–18 ELA and mathematics testing are available
The CAAs for ELA and mathematics will be administered using the secure browser and test delivery system.
The CAA for Science is administered to all students in grades five and eight and once to each student while that student is in high school. For the 2017–18 pilot test, all grade twelve students will take the CAA for Science. Additionally, LEAs have the option to test any grade ten or eleven student based on the guidelines set forth by the CDE . Only eligible students may participate in the administration of the CAAs.
The CAA for Science will be administered as an embedded performance task that is part of classroom instruction. View the CAA for Science Informational Video (7:09) or download the video for more information about the design of the embedded performance tasks.
The Data Entry Interface (DEI) system is available on the CAA for Science DEI Web page for transcribing test results.
Test Examiner Training
- CAA Test Examiner Tutorial (Video) (Posted 11/01/17)—Select from one of three tutorials: CAAs for ELA and mathematics (0:25:56); CAA for Science (0:22:19); or CAAs for ELA, Mathematics, and Science (0:46:30).
- Administering the CAA for Science (Video; 12:50) (Posted 11/28/17)
- How to Input CAA for Science Results into the Data Entry Interface (Video; 3:24) (Posted 12/28/17)
- Test Examiner Checklists (Posted 01/09/18)
- Guidance on Using Eye-Gaze as a Response Method (Updated 3/20/17)
- 2015–16 California Alternate Assessments Item Routing Training Video (Posted 04/11/16)
Additional Training Materials
CAA for Science Sample Embedded Performance Task:
- CAA for Science Training Sample Embedded Performance Task (Posted 10/16/17)
ELA and Mathematics Practice Test DFAs: