California Alternate Assessments (CAAs)
The summative California Alternate Assessments (CAAs) for English language arts/literacy (ELA), mathematics, and science are administered to eligible students. The CAAs are for students with the most significant cognitive disabilities and whose individualized education program (IEP) team has designated the use of an alternate assessment on statewide summative assessments.
Eligible students are those whose disability prevents them from taking the Smarter Balanced Summative Assessments for ELA and mathematics and the California Science Test.
ELA and Mathematics
The CAA for ELA and CAA for mathematics are available in grades three through eight and grade eleven and are delivered one on one by a trained CAA test examiner familiar to the student.
The CAAs for ELA and mathematics will be administered using the secure browser and test delivery system.
The CAA for Science Pilot 2 is available in grades five and eight, and one grade in high school (grade ten, eleven, or twelve) as well as students in ungraded programs.
The CAA for Science will be administered as an embedded performance task that is part of classroom instruction. View the CAA for Science Informational Video (7:09) or download the video for more information about the design of the embedded performance tasks.
Links to archived Webcasts and supporting materials. Note that you have the option to view the streamed video or download it.
- Pretest Workshop Part II: Administration of the California Alternate Assessments (CAAs), including the CAA for Science pilot test (December 2016)
- CAA Test Administration (2:01:53) Archived Webcast
- CAA Test Administration Webcast presentation
- CAA Test Administration In-person workshop presentation
- CAA Reporting (November 2016)
- Test Examiner Checklists (Posted 03/22/17)
- Guidance on Using Eye-Gaze as a Response Method (Updated 3/20/17)
- CAA Test Examiner Tutorial (Video) (February 2017)—Select from one of three tutorials: CAAs for ELA and mathematics (0:42:00); CAA for Science (0:27:00); or CAAs for ELA, Mathematics, and Science (0:59:00).
- 2015–16 California Alternate Assessments Item Routing Training Video (Posted 4/11/16)
CAA for Science Sample Embedded Performance Task:
- CAA for Science Training Sample Embedded Performance Task (Posted 1/24/17)
ELA and Mathematics Practice Test DFAs: