California Alternate Assessments (CAAs)
The summative California Alternate Assessments (CAAs) for English language arts/literacy (ELA), mathematics, and science are administered to eligible students using the secure browser and test delivery system. The CAAs are for students with the most significant cognitive disabilities and whose individualized education program (IEP) team has designated the use of an alternate assessment on statewide summative assessments.
Eligible students are those whose disability prevents them from taking the Smarter Balanced Summative Assessments for ELA and mathematics and the California Science Test.
ELA and Mathematics
The CAA for ELA and CAA for mathematics are available in grades three through eight and grade eleven and are delivered one on one by a trained CAA test examiner familiar to the student.
To access CAA Directions for Administration (DFA) for ELA and mathematics, select the [Secure Materials] icon in the Test Operations Management System (TOMS). In the Help window that opens, select the [CAA Secure Materials] button and then the [CAA for ELA and Math] button to see a list of ELA and mathematics DFA available by grade and version assignment for the CAAs for ELA and mathematics.
The CAA for Science is administered to all students in grades five and eight and once to each student in grade ten, eleven, or twelve while that student is in high school. Only eligible students may participate in the administration of the CAAs.
The CAA for Science is administered as three separate embedded performance tasks (PTs) that are integrated into each student’s instructional calendar. Embedded PTs are available for administration any time, in any order, between January 8, 2019, and the end of the instructional calendar. To access CAA for Science Directions for Administration (DFA), select the [Secure Materials] icon in the Test Operations Management System (TOMS). In the Help window that opens, select the [CAA Secure Materials] button and then the [CAA for Science] button to see a list of Science DFAs available by grade and version assignment.
Use the CAA for Science Administration Planning Guides to schedule administration of each embedded PT within the instructional calendar:
- 2018–19 CAA for Science Administration Planning Guide—Grade Five (Posted 01/10/19)
- 2018–19 CAA for Science Administration Planning Guide—Grade Eight (Posted 01/10/19)
- 2018–19 CAA for Science Administration Planning Guide—High School (Posted 01/10/19)
Test Examiner Survey:
Test examiners will respond to a general online survey after administering the CAA for Science to students. Because the test examiner survey asks general questions and is not student-specific, the test examiner responds to the survey once only. The survey will be available on January 8, 2019.
Test Examiner Training
- CAA Test Examiner Tutorial (Video)—Select from one of three tutorials: CAAs for ELA and Mathematics; CAA for Science; or CAAs for ELA, Mathematics, and Science.
- 2018–19 CAASPP Online Test Administration Manual (PDF)
- California Alternate Assessment for Science Webcast (December 2018)
- Test Examiner Checklists—This resource is forthcoming.
- Guidance on Using Eye-Gaze as a Response Method (Updated 03/20/17)
- CAAs for English Language Arts/Literacy (ELA) and Mathematics Item Routing Training Video (Posted 04/11/16)
Additional Training Materials
- Training Test Directions for Administration (DFA) for the CAAs for English Language Arts/Literacy (ELA) and Mathematics (Updated 01/09/18)
- Training Performance Task DFA for the CAA for Science (Posted 01/07/19)
ELA and Mathematics Practice Test DFAs: