Test Security Forms
Users with roles that require access to TOMS and the test delivery system must be assigned access before logging on and signing security affidavits in TOMS .
For users with roles that do not require access to TOMS, the process to complete and submit the Test Security Affidavit is online and completed using the following link:
For LEAs who wish to print the Test Security Affidavit for Non-TOMS Users to complete, please use the following link:
- CAASPP Test Security Affidavit for 2021–22 (Posted 01/31/22)
Test Security Audits
To ensure test security and protect the integrity of CAASPP and ELPAC tests, local educational agencies (LEAs) are randomly selected for test security audits each administration year. LEAs that are selected for a test security audit will be contacted by Intouch Insight to schedule a site visit. Preview the interview questions that will be asked during the audit on the CAASPP and ELPAC Test Security Auditor Questionnaire (Posted 07/21/21).
- Test Security Guidelines Video (Video; 16:12) (Posted 09/08/21)
- STAIRS and Appeals Process (Video; 16:01) (Updated 05/27/22)
Security and Test Administration Incident Reporting System (STAIRS)/Appeals Process for Summative Assessments
The online STAIRS/Appeals process, available in the Test Operations Management System (TOMS) , must be used by LEA CAASPP coordinators and CAASPP test site coordinators to report a test security incident or other testing issue that interferes with the administration and completion of the assessment.
After the incident is reported, TOMS will immediately prompt the filing of an Appeal, if that is the appropriate action. A system email will be sent that describes the submittal and includes the case number that can be used for searches in TOMS. This email will be sent to the submitter (and to the LEA CAASPP coordinator, if the form is submitted by the CAASPP test site coordinator). Ensure that communications generated by the email address ca email@example.com are not automatically sent to a junk mail or spam folder.
In the case of breaches, the LEA CAASPP coordinator must contact the California Department of Education (CDE) by phone at 916-445-8765 for breaches that are not the result of social media exposure; or must contact the assigned LEA Success Agent for breaches that are the result of social media exposure. Only LEA CAASPP coordinators should contact success agents about security incidents; CAASPP test site coordinators should contact the LEA CAASPP coordinator in the event of a breach.
Information about Test Security Incidents
- CAASPP and ELPAC Security Incidents and Appeals Procedure Guide
- How to Submit a Security Incident (Posted 02/05/20)
LEA CAASPP coordinators and CAASPP test site coordinators should take the following steps when notification is received of a testing incident:
- Review the information provided and verify that the incident should be reported through STAIRS.
- Access TOMS to report the testing incident using STAIRS:
- Select the [STAIRS] navigation tab in TOMS.
- Follow the online prompts to complete the steps to submit the STAIRS case.
- If the system determines that an Appeal must be filed, follow the online prompts to select the student or students for whom an Appeal must be filed.
- Coordinators must select the [Submit] button to finish the process. Coordinators must ensure that all SSIDs are selected before submitting the STAIRS incident. Only the SSIDs that are selected in the [Submit] page are considered to be part of that STAIRS incident.
To expedite the processing of your incident or Appeal, please provide the CDE or test security personnel with any additional information that can be helpful while approving the Appeal or the STAIRS incident. Coordinators can withdraw all or some of the SSID(s) from the STAIRS case if the STAIRS case is still pending approval from ETS or the CDE.
Keep any documentation associated with the incident for one year.
Note: Only LEA CAASPP coordinators should contact the assigned LEA Success Agent in regard to STAIRS cases. CAASPP test site coordinators should either inform their respective LEA CAASPP coordinator to relay any information to ETS; or use the “Notes” section in the STAIRS case to communicate with ETS or the CDE.
The LEA should ensure submission of all Appeals before the LEA’s testing window closes. Any Appeal that results in a student’s continued testing must be filed with sufficient time for the student to complete the assessment before the LEA’s selected testing window ends. Contact the assigned LEA Success Agent directly for testing window extension requests.