Test Administrator Resources for Summative Assessments
These resources support administration of the California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress (CAASPP) Smarter Balanced Summative Assessments and California Science Test (CAST).
Manuals and Directions
- CAASPP Online Test Administration Manual
- Smarter Balanced Summative and CAST scripts —web-based manual chapter
- Smarter Balanced Summative and CAST scripts —stand-alone document
- CAASPP and ELPAC Accessibility Guide
- CAASPP and ELPAC Completion Status Guide
Test Administrator Instructions
- Quick Reference Guide—How to Start a Test Session (March 2022)
- 2023–24 CAASPP Test Administrator Checklist (Posted 06/23/23)
- Instructions for Using Embedded Glossaries
- Smarter Balanced Guidelines for Read Aloud, Test Reader
- Scribing Protocol for Smarter Balanced Assessments
Test Administrator Tutorial for General Assessments
The Test Administrator Tutorial is designed to prepare test administrators to administer the Smarter Balanced Summative Assessments for English language arts/literacy and mathematics, the CAST, and the California Spanish Assessment. This tutorial is optional and may be used in addition to the LEA's local training.
The tutorial is available on the CAASPP Test Administrator Tutorial web page on the CAASPP website, so no logon information is required. This public offering does not allow for tracking of course completion. LEA CAASPP coordinators can use the Test Administration Tutorial course on the Moodle Training Site if they want to track staff completion of the course. Moodle will provide participants with an online Certificate of Completion after a participant answers the Checks for Understanding questions correctly.
Calculator Availability and Sample Calculators
Certain sections of the Smarter Balanced Online Assessments for Mathematics for grades six through eight and grade eleven are divided into two sections: Calculator Available and Calculator Not Available.
A student taking the CAST can access the embedded Desmos calculator during the entire test.
- Grades three through five: No calculator used for on-screen Smarter Balanced assessment
- Grade six (math), grade 5 (science): Four Function Calculator
- Grades seven and eight (mathematics), grade eight and high school (science): Scientific Calculator
- Grade eleven (mathematics): Graphing Calculator
- Smarter Balanced Translated Test Directions (non-embedded)
- CAST Translated Test Directions (non-embedded)
- Multiplication Table (Updated 09/08/20)
A non-embedded accommodation (mathematics) only for students with an individualized education program (IEP) or Section 504 plan.
- 100s Number Table
A non-embedded accommodation (mathematics) only for students with an IEP or Section 504 plan only in grades four through eight and grade eleven.
- The CAST for grades eight and high school include a periodic table and reference sheets that students access during online testing as universal tools. These grade-level reference materials may be accessed to print and use as non-embedded designated supports for the CAST; there is no requirement to use these materials in the classroom. These reference tools are not meant to guide instruction. Refer to the Printing Enlarged Science Reference Tools quick start guide if the student requires a science reference tool to be enlarged and printed on 11×17 paper by the test administrator.
- Periodic Table of the Elements for Grade Eight and High School (Posted 01/26/22)
- Periodic Table of the Elements for Grade Eight and High School—Spanish (Posted 12/02/22)
- Grade Eight Reference Sheet (Posted 01/20/22)
- High School Reference Sheet (Posted 01/20/22)
For resources supporting administration of the California Alternate Assessments:
Refer to the California Alternate Assessments web page.
Last Reviewed: Monday, June 8, 2020