Smarter Balanced Assessments for English Language Arts/Literacy and Mathematics
Students in grades three through eight and grade eleven will receive full-length summative tests for both English language arts/literacy (ELA) and mathematics, with approximately seven to eight hours of total testing time for each student. Every device used for testing must have the secure browser installed. Stable, high-speed Internet is required.
Visit the California Department of Education (CDE) California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress (CAASPP) System web page for additional information about the Smarter Balanced Assessment System.
Smarter Balanced Testing Materials
Smarter Balanced Online Summative Test Administration Manuals
Smarter Balanced Paper–Pencil Test Administration Directions for Administration (DFAs)
Requests for Smarter Balanced ELA and mathematics paper–pencil tests are reviewed and approved by the CDE.
- Grade three DFA (Posted 02/01/21)
- Grade four DFA (Posted 02/01/21)
- Grade five DFA (Posted 02/01/21)
- Grade six DFA (Posted 02/01/21)
- Grade seven DFA (Posted 02/01/21)
- Grade eight DFA (Posted 02/01/21)
- Grade eleven DFA (Posted 02/01/21)
- CAASPP Paper–Pencil Testing Test Administration Manual (Posted 02/23/21)
- CAASPP Smarter Balanced Materials Return Instructions (Posted 02/01/21)
- Data Entry Interface User Guide (Posted 02/16/21)
- Accessibility Resources
- CDE CAASPP Student Accessibility Resources web page
Estimated Testing Times for Smarter Balanced Assessments
Refer to table 1 in the Testing Time and Recommended Order of Administration subtopic for rough estimates of the time most students will take to complete the Smarter Balanced online assessments for English language arts/literacy (ELA) and mathematics. This information is for scheduling purposes only, as the assessments are not timed.
Last Reviewed: Thursday, February 4, 2021