CAASPP Remaining Results, Including the CAAs and CSA, Available on September 15
CAASPP email update, September 14, 2023.
Dear LEA CAASPP Coordinator:
ETS is pleased to announce that the remaining 2022–23 individual student results for all CAASPP assessments will be available on September 15, 2023. These include
- remaining results for Smarter Balanced Summative Assessments in English language arts/literacy (ELA) and mathematics and the California Science Test;
- results for the California Alternate Assessments (CAAs) for ELA, mathematics, and science; and
- results for the California Spanish Assessment (CSA).
Results will be released in the following locations:
- Test Operations Management System (TOMS) on September 15
- California Educator Reporting System (CERS) on September 15
- LEA student information system vendor parent or student portal on September 18
LEA CAASPP coordinators and CAASPP test site coordinators will be able to use TOMS to find student results as well as other metrics such as reporting percentages and score status.
- The MyTOMS at a Glance Student Score Report (SSR) Status widget shows the percentage and number of SSRs released for the LEA on the TOMS home page.
- The [Score Status] tab of a student's profile in TOMS allows the user to access score status information for an individual student by content area that includes the following details:
- Score availability date
- Condition code(s)
- Recent Security and Test Administration Incident Reporting System Appeals
- The [Reporting] tab of a student's profile in TOMS allows the user to access reporting information for an individual student that includes the following details:
- Reporting language of the student's SSR
- Date the SSR was made available
- A link to download the SSR PDF in English or another language (when available)
Users can access and download SSRs individually or as one large file. Resources include the following:
- How to Download Student Score Reports (SSRs) in TOMS video
- How to Bulk Download Student Score Reports quick reference guide
All CAASPP SSRs can be provided to parents/guardians electronically, as PDFs, through a locally provided parent or student portal, or through another chosen method of local distribution.
Contact the LEA's portal provider for instructions on accessing electronic SSRs. For more information about electronic SSRs, refer to theCAASPPOptions for Distributing SSRs web page.
SSRs can also be printed locally. LEAs should ensure that mailing and email addresses for parents/guardians are correct and up to date prior to notifying parents/guardians of the availability of results. The parent/guardian mailing address that appears on the SSR is the residential address that was in CALPADS for the student in 2022–23. If no mailing address was present in CALPADS, then the CALPADS residential address was used to populate the address on the SSR. Per the California Code of Regulations, Title 5, Section 863, parents/guardians should be notified and CAASPP SSRs made available within 20 working days of receipt in TOMS. If the LEA receives the SSRs after the last day of the instructional year, the SSRs can be provided to parents/guardians within 20 working days of the next school year.
Student Score Data File
Final CAASPP results, including CAA and CSA results, will be available in the 2022–23 student data files in the [Reports] tab of TOMS starting on September 15.
LEAs will be able to download the student data file in two report types:
- The Enrolled LEA file contains data on students who were enrolled in your LEA, in CALPADS, as of the date of the file was requested. This file includes assessment records for all currently enrolled students and, after September 19, 2023, will include newly enrolled students who completed testing at a different LEA.
- The Tested LEA file contains data on students who tested with your LEA during the 2022–23 school year. When the 2022–23 results are released to the Test Results for California's Assessments website this fall, the aggregations will reflect students who tested in the LEA.
LEAs can use the SSR Available Start Date and SSR Available End Date filters to download a subset of the data based on the student's SSR availability date. To include all available students in either data file, use the start date of the statewide test administration window, which was January 11, 2023, as the SSR Available Start Date.
Accessing the CAASPP Student Score Data File Layout
The 2022–23 CAASPP Student Data File Layout is available on the CAASPP Score Reporting web page and in TOMS ; it appears when you select the CAASPP Student Score Data File from the Available Reports list. The student data file layout includes field descriptions, acceptable values for fields, and data sources. Follow the steps outlined in the CAASPP Student Score Data File Report topic of the TOMS User Guide to access the CAASPP Student Score Data File in TOMS. Please note that the LEA's score data file will be available in Excel format,.DAT file format, and.CSV file format. For larger LEAs whose student records exceed 200,000, the Excel file will be split into multiple tabs.
CERS houses student results as well as partial aggregated results at the group, school, and LEA levels. Prior to the public release of aggregate student results in the fall, the aggregated results available in CERS are partial and may present as higher or lower than the LEA's final aggregated results. The partial results may be shared with your local governing board and LEA staff for purposes of local planning.
Accessing Information in CERS
- LEA users can access CERS using a TOMS user account. Once in CERS, the user can search for results by student, school, or assigned groups from the "Access Assessment Results" section of the CERS home page, depending on the user's role. The following actions are available in CERS:
- To download a file containing student results, an LEA user can select the [Custom Aggregate Report] button and customize a yearly or longitudinal report for an LEA or school.
- To export a CSV file containing all LEA or school assessment results that can be used for analysis in another application, an LEA user can also select the [District/School Exports] button.
For more information, refer to the CERS User Guide . Refer to the Creating Groups in the California Educator Reporting System (CERS) video for a demonstration of how to create groups to allow specific users access to assigned student results.
California Outreach Team
Contact Us: California Outreach web page