CAASPP: Resources Coming this Fall for the CSA
CAASPP email update, September 20, 2023.
Dear LEA CAASPP Coordinator:
The California Spanish Assessment (CSA) will be expanding to include the speaking domain and full-write items for the writing domain. Prior to the CSA expansion becoming operational, these new items will be embedded in the current version of the CSA and field-tested in spring 2024. The test administration window is January 9 through July 15, 2024.
To provide LEAs with resources and support leading up to the CSA field test, the following resources are being developed and will be available in fall 2023:
- Bilingualism and the CSA video provides an overview of the CSA and educator testimonials about the benefits of bilingualism. This video is available in English and Spanish.
- What's New for the CSA? video provides information about the new updates to the CSA leading up to the field test in spring 2024.
- CSA Training Test Flyer announces the updates to the CSA training tests and how students can prepare to take the CSA by familiarizing themselves with the assessment and its new components.
- CSA Training Tests have been updated to include a speaking and a full-write item for each available training test. Students will be able to practice recording a response for speaking and responding to a writing prompt.
- Preparing for Administration document provides information LEAs need to know prior to the administration of the field test in spring 2024.
- CSA Speaking and Writing Scoring Rubrics provides the speaking and writing rubrics.
- What's New Overview Question and Answer Webinar for the CSA will take place on November 28, 2023 from 3 to 4:30 pm. During this webinar, participants will be provided with information on what is new for the CSA along with time for questions and answers. Register now for the What's New Overview Question and Answer Webinar for the CSA .
- CSA Administering an Online Test Session document provides test directions, logon instructions, and directions for monitoring student progress during test administration. (Available by January 2024)
We look forward to these new and exciting updates to the CSA and hope you will join us on this journey to provide educators, students, and parents or guardians with more information on how students are progressing in Spanish reading/language arts.
These resources plus more information about the CSA are located on the California Spanish Assessment web page on the CAASPP website.
California Outreach Team
Contact Us: California Outreach